Beginning tomorrow I will post a day-by-day summary from last week’s Exponential Conference in Orlando. It was crazy hectic the entire time and I never really had a chance to blog about much of it…or reflect on what I learned. Roughly four days have passed since I was there and only now am I starting to process everything…here are my initial thoughts:
1. I can love a man…and learn from a man…that does not share my doctrine.
2. America is more interested in church growth than church planting…I’m not sure how I feel about that?!?!
3. Twitter may be the only true social networking tool on the Internet.
4. God uses diverse styles, structures and leadership for His kingdom…there is no one right way to plant churches.
5. Urban church planters care way more than rural church planters about cultural relevance…probably because they need to.
6. The are a bunch of mixed up, running-into-walls, making mistakes, passionate young church leaders out there…that are going to set the world on fire for God!!!
7. Never judge a book by it’s cover…or the man that wrote it.
8. It is much easier to say stuff…blog stuff…or write stuff…when you are not in the same room with the person.
9. Cool “church” words are becoming dying fads…people just look like idiots when they try to use them.
10. The church has “emerged”…those still clinging to that term no longer sit at the “cool kids table”.
11. Those not in the game…are not relevant…ignore their banter.
12. Don’t get comfortable…or God will stop using you.
13. Life is too short to hold a grudge over something so stupid as the way in which we need to go about reaching people for Christ in the 21st Century.
14. A good video, cranking worship and relevant marketing…can’t take the place of one older gentleman speaking truth from the Word of God.
15. You don’t have to drink the Kool-Aid to be friends with someone.
16. The smallest voices seem to be making the biggest noise…and impact…these days.
17. We’ve lost ground in the cause for Christ…the world is becoming less “churched”.
18. Only other pastors understand what it’s like…to be a pastor.
19. The biggest names in Christian leadership…wrestle with the same things that the smallest names in Christian leadership do.
20. There is still much work to do for God’s Kingdom…and we’re wasting time!!!