Over the years I have tried to open my blog posts up for comments…each time it has been a failure. There are several reasons for this:
- Not everyone agrees with what I post…which is fine…but they expect me to actually debate it online. First of all…I’m 44-years-old…been in ministry over 20 years…and am pretty firm in my doctrinal convictions…therefore you’re very unlikely to change my beliefs on things. Secondly…I just have better things to do with my time than stay on Facebook or my blog debating crap. My thoughts about a subject is in my initial post…I’m not going to debate it.
- Many times the “debates” get too personal and someone ends up acting like a jackass. People start taking shots at others’ integrity, calling, leadership or church.
- There are those that live to debate online. They go from blog to blog…like a hoard of locusts devouring everybody that doesn’t agree with them. They are pathetic and seriously need to get a life.
- Too many people with church-caused baggage, limited theological education or just plain mentally stunted want to throw their two-cents in. Mainly because on a blog they can get away with. In real life people have already tuned them out.
- Some folks just seem to hate the “Western” church. Everything that isn’t foreign, culturally cool, a relief organization or emergent…they crap on.
- Church planters that sucked at it…and failed…want to take shots at those that didn’t and succeeded.
- Some people think it’s their job to keep me accountable or “stretch me”. Thanks…but I have an accountability board.
- Finally…I pastor a church that reaches A LOT of people that don’t go to church. They read this blog. Healthy debate is cool…but too many times they see the ugly side of Christians.
As a result of the things listed above my latest attempt at allowing comments on my blog has once again failed. It’s been getting ugly for a while and I was hoping it would get better. The comments on my blog post last week were the straw that broke the camel’s back. Some of the comments for that post were healthy debate that added to the conversation. One or two were direct shots at Compass Point or me. As a result I deleted all of them.
As of today comments on my blog are turned off. Sorry.